Monday, April 9, 2012

 PET CULTURE: EAST MEETS WEST

Being here in the United States for almost 6 years has shown me how Americans love their pets. It was different back in my home country Malaysia. Yes... I am from Malaysia. In case you are wondering where Malaysia is, its located smack right in the middle of the Equator in South East Asia where China, Thailand, Singapore and Indonesia meet. There is a vast difference to what I personally call “Pet Culture” between what I’ve experienced growing up back home and what I am experiencing now living in the States.  

In Malaysia, back when I was growing up, dogs and cats are allowed to roam around freely in the neighborhood. I don’t think any of them were vaccinated or taken to the vet for any wellness check up. You can see a pack of dogs chilling and laying on pavements and sidewalks .They were not as friendly as the dogs here. They would bark and chase any passerby. Ironically all these dogs are not wild dogs, they belong to someone. I remembered carrying a stone or a stick as I play outside and when I walk to school every morning just in case we get attacked by any dogs.  I remembered numerous times when my sister and I were chased by a pack dogs while we were cycling around or walking to the grocery store. We will also witness a lot of dogs fighting in the streets, especially during mating season. Hence my fear of dog bites/ dog attacks. It was a miracle, that we were never bitten by any dogs before.

 The universe works in mysterious ways as I had the privilege to work with a team of people who are passionate about animals. My fear of dogs diminished when I met Jimmy, our wonderful company mascot. He was the most wonderful and friendly dog ever. Of course, the first time I met him, I was petrified because he was such a big dog, as Michelle had already introduced him in her post, a standard poodle.  He is such a big teddy bear and has the most earnest eyes any dog could have. He is our “big little kiddo” in the office.

 Working at The Pet Stop has opened my eyes on how valuable dogs and cats are as part of one’s family member. They are not merely animals, when treated right they can be your best companion, even better than perhaps a human companion at times. I’ve met and played with numerous friendly dogs these days and I have grown to love them and not fear them.  It makes me happy that I am a part of a team that makes a difference in the community and in the lives of these valuable pets. Kudos to all pet owners here who truly care and love their pets. It sure did open up my eyes and perception to what pet ownership is all about to a whole new level.

I hope that I can adopt a good dog(a poodle) someday—when I have a nice big back yard. For now I will stick to loving my diva cat Luna and my rambunctious little toddler Logan.

Pack of "Wild" Dogs:  Ironically Owned by Someone

With Lil LZ


Miss Luna the Diva=She has grown so much since this picture was taken



1 comment:

  1. The one stop for all beings cute and loveable here!
    * kaylee *

    ReplyDelete